Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Easy, Healthy, & Fast Breakfast Muffin

My mother in law called me up one day and told me about this EASY morning muffin you can make in less that a minute in your microwave!!! She saw it on the Dr. Oz show! What makes it even BETTER is it is supposed to help you lose tummy fat AND it should keep you satisfied till lunch! How AWESOME does this sound!?! How could I not try this out!?!
Here it is:
Jorge’s Skinny Muffin
Traditional energy bars are often packed with sugar, which can cause a spike and a subsequent crash. These muffins are designed to provide sustainable energy that lasts through lunch, thanks to coconut oil, a healthy fat that’s good for your brain, fiber-rich flaxseed and egg protein.

Ingredients
Makes one serving

1/4 cup ground flax
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp coconut oil
1 egg
1 packet stevia

Directions
Mix all ingredients together in a mug and microwave for 50 seconds. Allow to cool to a safe temperature and enjoy!

You can find this recipe and others by Jorge Cruise on the Dr. Oz website: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/jorge-cruise-energy-boosting-recipes

Anyone who knows me KNOWS that I had to mess with this recipe!!!! It is a very dry muffin and for most, who actually care about taste, you need to spice it up especially if you are going to be feeding it to your kids as well! By the way, What a GREAT breakfast to be feeding your children before school, it will help them sit still and LEARN! 
Here is the beautiful breakfast my WHOLE family ate this morning!

Let me tell you how I spiced up the recipe and made it for the whole family. First, I am so for using coconut oil BUT I didn't have any at the time. I just wanted you to know that you can still make this with butter or any other substitute... I used Earth Balance (pictured) you just wont get the heath benefits of the coconut oil!

Here is my ingredient list:
1/2 cup of ground Flax seed (another tip is to cut this in half with another good flour for example 1/4 cup of ground flax and 1/4 cup of Buckwheat, Spelt, Rice etc. flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon Cinnamon (two teaspoons is way to much cinnamon)
1 teaspoon coconut oil (or any other butter substitute you have on hand)
1 packet of stevia (or as I used 1 teaspoon agave, maple syrup, or other natural sweetener)
***NEXT ingredients are what help to not make it SO DRY!
2 teaspoons of applesauce
1 overflowing tablespoon of raisins
*Optional: if you are a juicer, save some of your fruit and veggie pulp and add 2 teaspoons (it's really good)!!!!

As above, just simply mix all your ingredients together in a mug and heat in the microwave! I had to add a few seconds on to mine because of added ingredients. So heat for 1 minute 40 seconds!

Eat with fresh berries, applesauce, and don't forget to add a little honey, agave, or 100% Maple syrup on top. Your kids AND you will LOVE this warm morning treat that is actually so good for you! and takes MINUTES to make!!!

Ummmmm.... where did the food go!?! SO GOOD!

Here is a little video of how it looks straight out of the microwave! Try this and comment on what you thought and/or your ideas of changing it up!
* A little tip, and one of our new favorite ways to make the muffin, for dessert you can take out the raisins and applesauce and add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter (nut butter) and a tablespoon of chocolate chips! After it's out of the microwave add some butter and maybe even a little maple syrup! SO GOOD!
*ALSO, after making this muffin a hundred times I figured out that you can add 1-2 tablespoons of milk(soy, almond, coconut, etc) and it won't be so dry and it will still cook up in less than two minutes in the microwave!

I blogged later about a different version of this muffin...Making it into carrot cake! SO good! Check out the post HERE!

6 comments:

  1. I tried it this morning - not my fav muffin recipe, but clever. You were right, it did need more moisture. I did a combination of flax, almond flour and sorghum and used pumpkin instead of applesauce. Also added chopped walnuts with the raisins. Oh, and also smeared some butter on the hot muffin with a little bit of agave drizzle. :) Thanks for sharing - Elle thought it was the best ever - made her morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, I was wondering if you tried the muffin! I knew you would appreciate it! It's not really about being the best tasting muffin but it's more about how FAST and also HEALTHY at the same time!!!! =) I'm so happy Elle liked it! Thanks for letting me know how you made it! Love hearing different varieties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm...looks right up my alley! Got to try it--maybe tomorrow. Good idea to add the applesauce. Congrats on the new baby! Ours is due August 1! Thanks for the comment on my blog...I needed to check up on your blog...I'll be reading the posts I missed!

    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mia, I would love to know what you think after you make it! Also, I know you would probably change things up a bit! The way you feed your family, I'm sure they will all love the muffin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3/23/2012

    Hi Coleen,
    I found your comment on Dr. Oz's site and came to see your ideas re: Jorge Cruise's Skinny Muffin. I haven't tried it yet, but wanted to thank you for your information: your version sounds great, and I will soon try one of your versions. Thanks again!
    Margee in NY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6/14/2012

    I'll try the applesauce, thanks. I've always add a bit of cocoa powder & ground ginger to mine. I also found i like the taste of aluminum free baking powder with this as well

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...