Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Homemade Jello Orange Smiles!

I am SO EXCITED about this post!!!!! It's SO fun and easy! I saw this really cute idea on my phone and took a picture of it with the link at the bottom! I got inspired! I always loved Jello as a kid but I don't feed it to my kids unless it is from Whole Foods or Trader Joes (which is 3 dollars for 4 containers) because I stay FAR AWAY from artificial food coloring. This is a topic for a blog all by itself, which I will do one day. However, I have to add that some food coloring has ALREADY been banned in the UK due to studies. Example, McDonald's Strawberry Shake in the UK is made with REAL strawberries but over here it's made with RED 40!!!! Oh, i'm getting started! This blog is NOT about this! But there is hope!

I researched and it is SO EASY to make jello out of your child's (or your) favorite juice! It just has to be 100 % Juice. I wanted to get a "pretty" juice just for this blog... but if you come over and have some jello it might just be green.... We just got a juicer and we are using lots of Kale and Spinach in everything!!! YUMMY!

Here is what you need:
One packet of Knox Gelatine (there is four to a box)
2 cups of your juice
And if you are using a very bitter juice like 100% Cranberry you will probably need 1-2 Tablespoons of honey/sweetener. However, most juice is sweet enough!


In a little bowl add your pack of gelatine and 1/2 cup of juice.
Then add the rest (1 1/2 cup) of juice to a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
Remove from heat and add the softened gelatine and juice, stirring until completely dissolved.

If you are going to do the orange smiles, cut an orange in half and remove the insides.

Pour in your juice mix and put in the fridge for about 3 hours!

Cut into smile slices and serve!  I did kind of a bad job this time around at removing all of the orange at the bottom but I didn't want to accidentally cut through the skin! To me it was good to have a little orange with the jello! ENJOY!

8 comments:

  1. I can make this tonight for my girls in the morning! thank you! great tutorial! karin marie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3/31/2012

    I don't know that my Kids would like this, but this would be such a cure idea for a pot-luck!
    -Debbs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4/05/2012

    This is how we made jello in the 50's and 60's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should go back to the ways a lot of things were done back then.... before all of the chemical coloring and preservatives were added to our foods! =) We just need to be reminded that it can be done!!!

      Delete
  4. I loved Jello as a kid, but I NEVER feed it to my kids either...Zia has never had it (to my knowledge). Thanks for the great idea to use plain gelatin and juice! I'll try it out!

    Mia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids have had it a few times, the prepackaged brand at whole foods, before I started this and always beg to get it!!! If I'm gunna spend the money, I would rather spend it on Yogurt! But now that I found this, they are always asking to make it!!! It's so easy and it's fun to have them give me their ideas on what juice we should use and what molds they want! Now when you see those cute "Jello Jigglier" ideas... you can come up with your own!!!! Also, Who knew Jello could have vegetables in it!?! LOVE IT!!!

      Delete
  5. Anonymous8/07/2013

    I know that this is an old post, but I thought I'd throw out there that knox might not be the best brand of gelatin to use... there are several brands out there that derive the gelatin from grass fed beef instead of feed lot cows. We use Great Lakes brand.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...