Saturday, September 22, 2012

Natural Mosquito Repellant

 It is definitely Mosquito time!!! I have been kind of freaked out because there are also cases of West Nile going around the States! It is said to be the worst year on record of the West Nile Virus!! I can't put any bug spray on my 3 month old baby and I really don't want to put any on my big kids either! This is because most of them contain the chemical DEET! When DEET is sprayed onto your skin it gets absorbed and eventually enters the bloodstream. It pumps through your nervous system and has been proven to kill brain cells, causing neurological damage. If you have heavy exposure to DEET, you may experience memory loss, headache, fatigue, muscle and joint pain, and shortness of breath....
With all of that information, I think I would rather just let the bugs bite! LOL
The only time I would use DEET bug spray is if I were going camping, hiking, hunting, etc because I would also be warding off ticks! The point is to have little to no exposure to DEET!

Recently, I heard that Mosquitos HATE the smell of fresh Thyme and fresh Basil!
I decided to test this out because I have two Basil plants.
What is great about Basil plants is that you have to pick the flowers off so it can keep growing AND it grows back really fast!

If you are putting it on your child you will have to get creative. With my kids, if it touched their skin, they complain about it being itchy!
So I picked some and put it into my daughters hair!
 Then I tied some to my sons shorts!
 I simply held the basil in my hand, touching it to my baby's head and legs, and playing with it which released it strong sent! This is a plus because I love the smell of Basil!

THIS WAS THE TEST:
 The night before I was outside and in a matter of 5 minutes I killed six mosquitos on my legs. I had to cut the conversation with the neighbors short and go inside because I was so frustrated with the bugs!
The next night, with fresh Basil in my hand,  I kept watching my legs and NOTHING!!! I am telling you, not one mosquito landed on my legs that I saw!
So it TOTALLY WORKS!!!

Another thing that you could also do is add a little citronella oil to some fragrance free lotion and it will act as a natural bug repellant. For 4oz. of lotion use about 1 teaspoon of oil! Below is a picture of Whole Foods brand of fragrance free lotion. It is really a great price (32oz bottle for around $5) and it is also free of Sulfates and Parabens!
This is a little off topic but I want to inform you about what Parabens are so you can make good choices when it comes to your body care products! Parabens are the most widely used preservatives in personal care products! They stop bacteria and fungus from growing in your favorite creams and makeup. There is a debate that these chemicals are harmful to our health. For example, they have the weak ability to mimic estrogen and have been found in breast cancer tumors!! Here are the names of Parabens on a bottle or package: methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, and isobutylparaben! They can even be found in your MASCARA!!!
A tip: read labels of everything you put in your mouth or on your body!!!!!
My kids and I also use 365 shower gel. This was a lifesaver to me when I noticed my daughter had sensitive skin because fragrance free products marketed for babies can cost a FORTUNE!!! The lotion and shower gel also come in 16oz or 32oz bottles in mint, citrus grapefruit, lavender, and unscented!
I love the Lavender scent!

I'll leave you with this video I found on YouTube. This girl shares her favorite All Natural beauty products and she includes Whole Foods 365 body lotion as one of them! I think I'm gunna try out the liquid eyeliner she recommends!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Colleen! This was really informative. We are pretty mosquito-free up in the mountains, but it's good to have a back-up for camping and travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Colleen! Just saw the comment you left on my YOUtube I know it was a while back but just wanted to stop by & say hi & thanks for sharing my video! Love your blog and hope to keep in touch! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...