Thursday, May 23, 2013

The "Life" Yearbook

Today is Brenden's last day of First Grade!! Kansas is always a little earlier letting out for summer vacation. Wither your child is out of school, has a few weeks left, or isn't even attending yet... here is a GREAT idea that I got from Pinterest that I NEED to share with you! 

 Ok, so here is what I am doing for all of my kids.... I have just started doing this for Brenden. 
I am making a "life" yearbook for him! 
Basically, what it is is any book you would like to give to your child as a gift on their High School graduation. I chose Dr. Seuss's book Oh, the Places You'll Go because of the message and all of the fun pictures and blank spaces to write within the pages.
What you do is have their teachers, coaches, family members and other influential people in your child's life write a little message to them! Then when they graduate from High School, they will be BLOWN AWAY with support for the future from everyone!
When choosing a book, make sure there are places that MANY little messages can be written! I was talking about this with my friend Sara and she wanted to choose a different book for her daughter. She was contemplating using a favorite childhood book that they always read together. She ended up choosing (I hope you don't mind me sharing) a cute book of quotes at Hallmark called "Everything I Really Need to Know I Learned In Kindergarten". So an inspirational book of quotes for a graduate would work well for this. Also if you are religious, I would consider a book to encourage your child in their walk on their pathway to adulthood. 

Another thing I wanted to share was having people in your family sign the book now and then again at graduation. I don't want to have a negative outlook on life but one thing we all know is that we never know how much time we have with our loved ones, no matter there age!!! How special would the book be with a little message from someone who has passed.

You can even have siblings sign it! 
Kiki picked her favorite page in Brenden's book, the big monster page, and she drew a little picture and signed her name. Then I wrote the year by her signature! 
With baby brother Garren I am going to trace over or paint and print his little hand and put his name and the year inside it! These will be so much fun to read over YEARS later!
If your child is a little older, you can STILL start this....
Just go back to their old teachers and have them sign it! If you can't reach them, it will still be special with whatever you can get! If your child is homeschooled, you(as teacher) can write a special message about what your child learned and how much they grew throughout the school year! 
The point is to encourage our children for the future.

Lastly, If you wish to add a Bible verse the perfect one to add is, Jeremiah 29:11.
 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

I would LOVE to know and for you to share what book you chose for your child's "Life" Yearbook!!!
Comment below!!!
May we bless our kids for the future!!!

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea. I chose Falling Up, Where the Sidewalk Ends, and still contemplating the Stinky Cheese Man for the youngest. JK ... Kind of.I set up email accounts for my girls, to send messages 'to the future', but I'm terrible with passwords and life has dampened that I'm afraid. This yearbook seems much more realistic to keep up with.
    If I may, On a personal note, I must express my gratitude for your blog. My three girls and I have had quite a turbulent few years, but Things Are finally falling into place. Through that time, I've had the link to your page on my home screen for the moments I'm struggling to keep it together. the time you've taken to document, describe and share such PRECIOUS moments of you and your family, have kept a little bright streak in some rainy days for me. Anyway, thank you, and I hope you're still finding those doses of glitter that brighten your life like they have mine. ~Tegin~ MO ~cabinetmaker

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...